Shooting Stars

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground. Teddy Roosevelt

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a 28 year old Mississippi native living in North Carolina. Read all the entries to find out more!

Friday, July 14, 2006

The End of an Era

Today is the day that I (hopefully) say goodbye to contacts and glasses. I've been so excited about it, and I still am. I'm not one bit nervous. But here's the weird thing: I'm a little bit sad.

I don't know if this will make any sense or not. I've always kind of had trouble identifying exactly who I am or what I'm meant to do, etc. Having bad vision, and requiring sight aids is one of the few obvious things that I felt defined me. Hi, I'm Natalie, and I'm practically blind! It was almost a sense of pride just how blurry everything was without glasses or contacts. Today, I lose that definition.

I realize it's a great thing to do and I know I won't regret it at all. It just feels a bit odd - like I'm losing part of myself. Tampering with things. But I'm trying to look at it this way - I'm beginning to shed the negative definitions and find (or improve) the positive ones. Having great vision will be one less thing to worry about - clearing up space in mind for other, more important worries.

Everyone has been so sweet! Yesterday and today I've gotten so many emails from family (Aunties Melody and Gay) and cousins/best friends (Sarah, Lydia, Moriah) and friends (Susan, Janine, Jill, John, Candace, if I left anyone out I'm sorry) wishing me luck, telling me how happy they are for me, co-workers who can't wait to hear about it on Monday. I'm a lucky, loved girl.

I'll be filing a report first thing on Monday! Tomorrow morning when I wake up from a sweet, Valium-induced coma, I should be able to see the clock.

If you are also helpless to the need of vision enhancing materials, that last sentence probably made you cry.

4 Comments:

Blogger aughra said...

Wooo! I got Lasik in 02, and it was and is AMAZING!!!!! Let us know...

8:10 PM  
Blogger Avery's mom said...

hope everything turns out just perfect and easy for you. cant wait to hear how it goes.
I imagine getting your vision is someting like getting braces taken off and feeling your smooth teeth for the first time. It will be wonderful and nothing at all to be sad about. it the evolution of YOU!

11:35 AM  
Blogger PrincessGreen17 said...

Good riddance to contacts and glasses, good morning, clock!

6:04 PM  
Blogger BabyMakes4 said...

i can't wait to hear about it!! i want to get it done soon.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home