Shooting Stars

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground. Teddy Roosevelt

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a 28 year old Mississippi native living in North Carolina. Read all the entries to find out more!

Friday, June 02, 2006

How 'Bout Them CANES!!


They did it! The Hurricanes won 4-2 last night, scoring 2 of those goals in the last period of the game. My experience with the game involved a lot of drama: the sports bar where I went to watch the game with friends lost power with about 12 minutes to go in the last period. There was a loud, collective "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" followed by murmurs and chatter, followed by impatient quiet, followed by people getting up and leaving. Here is what ticked us off: not a single person came to our table to say what was happening, how long the power would be out, how we could pay our bill if we didn't want to wait for the charge card machines to start working, or to apologize. Our waitress disappeared. We waited as long as we could and then put what cash we had on the table and left. I didn't feel bad, because of the extremely tacky way management handled the situation. They just let everybody sit there. Another waitress told me that the whole area was out, but I could look out the window and see lights on at nearby buildings. She lied to me! We couldn't believe it was happening - everybody was on their cell phones, trying to get updates and scores, so when a cheer went up we knew we'd gotten another point and taken the lead. But enough was enough.

A bunch of people were in the parking lot listening to the game on the radio so we joined them, and then the TV's came back on! Everybody rushed back in and just stood near a TV to watch - we went on the patio - and everyone got to see the last two minutes of the game. We got to see that fourth goal and the end of the game. Everyone was screaming and shouting and high-fiving and jumping up and down and hugging strangers. I love watching sports in an atmosphere like that. Everyone loves each other all of a sudden.

We're going to the Stanley Cup! And we're not watching it at the Carolina Ale House!

2 Comments:

Blogger Candace said...

Just so you know..;) saying "When I was your age" that doesn't make you sound old. It simply makes you sound "oldER". ;)
And,it's not that I'm HORRIBLE.. it just takes me a bit to get used to the whole idea of math. My guidance councelor wants to put me in the hardest classes possible because "she can". It mangers me. (mangers is a word I like to use it means..mad angry)

P.S. There is a "Jock and me" thing.. but PLEASE don't tell anyone. I mean I didn't mean for you to figure it out.. or.. for anyone to figure it out.. but there is only like one person outside of my immediate family that knows about us. Not even his parents know. Because we're not planning on telling people about us until I'm 18. So,if you have any contact with the people of Vardaman/Calhoun City/Bruce crowd.. don't say anything :D I'd appreciate it.

5:53 PM  
Blogger aughra said...

that's so strange, a southern team going to the finals. And our poor Red Wings are out.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home