Shooting Stars

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground. Teddy Roosevelt

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a 28 year old Mississippi native living in North Carolina. Read all the entries to find out more!

Friday, September 08, 2006

The hills are alive, with the sound of My God you're delusional

I was just emailing with my cousin - we've been discussing, of course, men. I said something about not liking guys who are actually really nice to us and she said:

The assholes, how we love them so. I blame Harrison Ford. Han Solo and Indiana Jones, the eternally inaccessible smartasses.

I responded back while simultaneously being hit with a lightning bolt. I said "Don't forget Captain Von Trapp! The frostiest and smarmiest of them all, and he melts into a singing, waltzing love-god who escapes the Nazis, to boot."

That is when I realized that my entire view of love and it's challenges is probably extremely warped from watching "The Sound of Music" every year as a kid. Have faith, be cute and kind and sing and get other people to sing and whammo - you snatch that hot guy right out from under the Baroness' nose! Hah!

What else warped us as we were growing up? I'd have to say the marriages in the "Little House" books (not the TV show) probably threw me up into the clouds, too. Ma and Pa Ingalls, Laura and Almanzo. The women was dee boss! You just don't see many guys around these days, though, stretching bear skins and smoothing wooden planks with their ax.

I was going to say I've lost touch with reality but come to think of it, I don't think I've EVER been anywhere near it!

3 Comments:

Blogger PrincessGreen17 said...

Gee, I can't imagine which cousin said that! Lucky for me, I guess, I've never seen The Sound of Music!

6:55 PM  
Blogger aughra said...

I have so many screwed up relationship ideas, and a lot of them came from Nora Ephron movies.

That bitch.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, you can start with all those Disney movies... and yes, thank you Nora Ephron as well... and I think you can even extend this to TV. Not the dramas where everything goes wrong for ratings, but the sitcoms (before Seinfeld) always wrapped up neatly with a happy ending in half an hour.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home