Shooting Stars

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground. Teddy Roosevelt

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a 28 year old Mississippi native living in North Carolina. Read all the entries to find out more!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Grassroots Campaign

I'm pretty certain that anti-depressants are simply FDA-approved forms of crack squashed into a neat little white pill. Here's why:

Yesterday I woke up at 5:30 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep. I had a full, busy day at work and software training (and I stayed alert) but still made it to the gym to exercise at lunch. I had to take some work home with me because the day was so frenzied I didn't get to work on the minutes. Still, I needed a break from work before starting on that. So I washed the dishes, played with the dog, cleaned out and scrubbed my refrigerator, swept the kitchen floor and took all the garbage out. I also used up two bottles of Round-Up on all the weeds and grass the mower can't get to. After a few phone calls I was pretty much ready for bed, so I just went to sleep and got up at 5:30 this morning to work on the minutes. Who IS this person?

Going back to the Round-Up for a minute.. my yard is huge and there are many places that the mower can't get to and I haven't bought a weedeater yet. I did buy a nifty little hand tool that will cut branches and things and has grass shears but my knees are getting old... anyway, my mother had used some Round-Up on poison ivy while she was here, and also went out and bought five more bottles of it for me. I decided that really, I don't need grass under and around the swing.. or by the deck.. or under my grape arbor.. so I got to spraying. Pretty easy and satisfactory work - normally I appreciate the rough beauty of nature untamed but even the best of tree-huggers like me gets to a point where you say, "That looks like crap." I'd like to say I feel badly about spraying poison on innocent grass and weeds but I don't. I hope when I get home today everything is nice and dead and shriveled up.

Unfortunately when I stopped I realized that I'd forgotten to douse myself in Off! and there were chunks of flesh missing from my legs due to mosquitoes. How could I have forgotten that? Ever since I can remember, you didn't go outside in the summertime without being doused in Off! When I was a kid and all us cousins and aunts met up at our grandparents' home, there was a can in every room and two or three outside. You couldn't step foot out the door without being sprayed down and we'd have to re-spray each other while playing outside, too. I'm surprised they didn't just set up a sprinkler system to spray us when we got out of bed. If you think the skeeters are bad where you are, go visit the Mississippi pine belt/delta area. You'll think that pterodactyls have made a comeback, but it's just the mosquitoes. Anyway, I couldn't believe I'd forgotten to put on my coat of Off! before going out to do yardwork.

I feel like I violated my heritage.

4 Comments:

Blogger Avery's mom said...

maybe you got a little trigger happy with the Roundup and thats why flesh is falling from your legs. take it easy with the chemical hun...mixing antidepressants with weed killers might not be the safest combination
:)

4:43 PM  
Blogger PrincessGreen17 said...

I was just thinking about Skin So Soft the other day.

4:46 PM  
Blogger German Shepherd Mom said...

What I want to know is what kind of insanity had you working outside in this heat and humidity...

6:31 PM  
Blogger aughra said...

Nothing wrong with a little crack.

Gus and I both welt when we get bit by spiders or mosquitos. We are crazy reactive. But my husband hardly ever gets bit, and has skin like leather. Every summer I scream OFF! SUNBLOCK!!! Now Gus is old enough that I tell him to remind his daddy.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home