Shooting Stars

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground. Teddy Roosevelt

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a 28 year old Mississippi native living in North Carolina. Read all the entries to find out more!

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Oh, baby baby!

No, I'm not pregnant. I'm just running out of things to blog about. I was thinking last night how I like it when people call me baby.

A lot of women don't like it and I can see why. But I love it - I love it if a guy I'm dating calls me that, or my dad calls me that, or sweet older black women in the store call me that. It makes me want to snuggle up to them and listen to stories. It makes me feel safe and loved and cute and that people want to take care of me. I can take care of myself, but sometimes it is nice to be taken care of, you know? And it's a vague term, a widely-used nickname. It's in every other country song.. but it still sounds individualized when someone uses it, for reasons I can't really pinpoint.

What's your feeling on it? Do you like it or hate it or it depends on the person or what?

6 Comments:

Blogger German Shepherd Mom said...

I like it when its used by the guy I'm dating. When other people use it, though, I really don't care for it. Of course, my level of dislike depends on the person and his or her intentions behind the nickname....

12:35 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

I LOVE it when people call me "baby". It makes me feel special. When my guy calls me that, he's usually going to say something really sweet.. so yeah. I enjoy it a lot. When older people call me that, I feel special too. I just love the word all around. Unless of course they're calling me that to condescend me,but.. we won't get into that. :D

3:30 PM  
Blogger aughra said...

I like it. But only from the husband, the dad, or older men who come into my store. Not young men.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm undecided. In general I think it's overused as a term of endearment between couples. But maybe I just don't get it. The feminist in me thinks it's a little condescending. I call my cats "baby" but I guess I feel like it puts the two parts of a couple on a different plane when one calls the other that.

But don't listen to me, I'm single and bitter. :)

12:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I only like it when some who cares about me says it. Not the jerk in the van who's cat-calling me.

-Marie

5:55 PM  
Blogger KB said...

Eh, I'm not much into pet names generally so if anyone called me baby, they'd likely get smacked. Hard.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home