Shooting Stars

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground. Teddy Roosevelt

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a 28 year old Mississippi native living in North Carolina. Read all the entries to find out more!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Simple Life

Now that I'm all mentally stable, and can actually observe and think and remember - I mean, it's really fascinating how my memory is coming back. I will be talking making conversation and all of a sudden something I didn't know I remembered will come back. It's fun (mostly)!

Anyway - now that I can DO all those things again I'm able to sort through the different layers of life and see them for what they are instead of what I perceived them to be through a cloud of mania and defensiveness. Not that I'm old or anything, but now that I'm getting older I really appreciate the very simple things in life, or rather the way they make me feel. I've always been pretty down to earth but now - I don't know how to explain it, it's just now I really grasp what I enjoy, and not just because I don't have any money to do anything else. I like going outside and getting sweaty and dirty, and then taking a hot shower and getting all clean. It makes me feel like I'm a little kid again. I like going for walks and watching the sunset and baking. I like my hot cup of coffee in the morning. I like singing and art and writing and here's the best thing - I no longer feel like I have to be The World's Best at those things to do them. Before, it was like I thought.. "Well, I'm not fantastic at this, this or this so I'm just going to tuck it away because there's no point." What a lame way to think! Who cares if I'm great at it or not, it's part of what makes me, me.

I realize that my job doesn't define who I am or say that I'm a loser because it's not what I want to do. It's just something to pay the bills and I need to do it well and get there every day. I realize that I like for my house to be clean but that it's no big deal if it isn't. I realize that I really don't feel good or enjoy my time if I'm sleeping so much. I realize I don't need as much sleep as I was getting - and that Saturdays are a lot more fun spent doing anything, as long as there's a nap thrown in there somewhere. Hey, napping is part of who I am too! And I realize that maybe some mistakes I made or things I felt bad about, I did the right thing after all.

But I do still wish I could win the lottery.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've found that my job feels less like a prison sentence when I spend my free time indulging in things I enjoy. Then it can be JUST the way I earn money to pay for the important stuff.

4:20 PM  
Blogger aughra said...

Wow, so the anti-Ds are working well, huh? Good on ya.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home